The Takoma Micro-Grant for DC Businesses is a limited grant fund available to Takoma, DC businesses located in the commercial corridor near the Metro (see map). 2023 grant funds are available for business interior and exterior improvements. Grants will be from $1,000- $3,000. Eligible improvements include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Exterior Improvements: Business signage, painting, awning, doors and windows, patios, and patio furniture
- Interior Improvements: Remodeling, furniture, lighting, storage, shelving, painting, equipment (heating, air conditioning or ventilation systems, refrigerators, stoves, ovens, ventilation hoods, dishwashers and point of sale systems)
- Security Improvements: Lighting, window upgrades, security cameras. (Must apply for DC government rebate to receive up to $750 on equipment costs through the Office of Victim Services and Justice Grants (OVSJG).
This grant funded is fully funded by DC’s Department of Small and Local Business Development.
Application Deadline and Terms
- Applications must be received no later than Friday, July 7, 2023.
- Applicants will be notified of their award status no later than Friday, July 17, 2023.
- Applicants will need to expend the grant money no later than Friday, September 15th, 2023 and provide a short report including overview of work done, documentation including receipts and proof of payment.
- Any funds not expended as proposed by Friday, September 15, 2023, must be returned to the Old Takoma Business Association for reallocation to support other small businesses.
Grant Eligibility Requirements
Applicants must be considered a small, locally-owned business operating in the Takoma neighborhood of Washington, DC (see map) and have Clean Hands with the District of Columbia. Business must be located on Carroll St, NW, Cedar St, NW, Willow St NW, Butternut St. NW, Maple St, NW, Blair Rd, NW, Eastern Avenue, NW or 4th St, NW.
- Adult entertainment
- Gas stations
- Home-based businesses
- Professional service organizations (e.g. law firm, architect firm, doctor, dentist)
- Real Estate Businesses
The OTBA grant evaluation committee will evaluate applications and determine grant recipients based on the following criteria:
- Detailed description of project
- Project readiness
- Status and description of other recent or planned projects
- Business’ contribution to the community
- Preference will be given to street-front businesses